Monday, June 4, 2012

JUST ONE WEEKEND. SEWING FOR FUN - 5

Yesterday, actually, the whole weekend was wonderful!Nothing in particular but I have just have such a wonderful feeling when I think about it. Saturday was just lazy. W played and I ran to Boulder and came back, at night we went to see "Snow White and a Huntsman". OK, I have to admit, the whole movie I was waiting when Julia Robertson appeared. Obviously, she did not... Just when we came home I realised that she played Qween in the movie ."Mirror, Mirror". Can you imagine that TWO movies based on the same tale would be released the same year?!


And yesterday we went for a walk. There is an open space next to our neighborhood and we go there if we are too lazy to drive to the mountains. Cactus are blooming now. It always surprising me how such tough looking plant produces these beautiful delicate flowers. We can't resist and took some pictures.

On the way back we stopped at supermarket to get steaks for dinner (did not happen, W had to work and it took him longer, and I do not do steaks, so we had curry) and when we came out of the store and  looked at the sky... well, they was magnificent!












 For a while I wanted to make skirt out of jeans. One of my favorite Taharis was laying on my shelf ripped belong repair. There are some tutorials on the web, but frankly none of the skirts I saw I wanted to make. There are two popular types: the inside seam is riped and triangles of fabric inserted - too 60s for my taste, another one - one/two/three pieces of material gathered on one side and sewed to the jeans top "pyramid" style, all together it makes your body look pretty much like a rectangle, not desirable. So, I made my own version. The only downside, you need LOTS of fabric, fortunately, I just bought this wonderful piece of cotton blend in a thrift store. It had some fading marks, but it did not bother me at all.

So, you cut you jeans just below the back pockets. And make a pattern for the skirt using this tutorial. After you make it on paper measure the length of your denim top and subtract it from the waist line down (do not forget to leave 1 inch allowance, when you cut the fabric).

 Add a pocket if you wish and take it for a walk. I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment