Monday, May 14, 2012

FLOWER OF POMEGRANATE. DECOUPAGE ON AN OLD WRITING TABLE.



As I said before, I have million hobbies, some of them I have from my childhood (like ceramic), some - pretty fresh and new (like bread making, sausages making and decoupage). 

As a first instruction I want to share one of my first decoupage project. If you want to repeat it just remember, the important thing is following the technique (I thank Hiram Manning for his book Manning on Decoupage), careful cutting and gluing and... the sky is a limit - let your imagination go wild! I will learn how to take "step-by-step" pictures.




Do you like garage sales? I love them, you know, the ones in the old neighborhoods or in the old farm houses. You never know what you are going to find there. Last spring me and my friend had a little road trip around our area searching for something special. And in one of the old farmhouses I saw this table (the picture is taking on my patio-studio).


First of all. You need to prepare the surface. This means dust and old lacquer, if you go to your local hardware store they will be able to help you.  Word of advise: search for your decoupage supplies not in a special stores but in second hand stores for old furniture, old art albums, old maps, etc., make your local hardware store your best friend - it does not have to be expansive to be beautiful.

After the surface is clean it needs to be primed (or you may buy a paint with primer) and painted. I would recommend to use those chip sponge brushes for the job. Usually I put about 3-4 layers of paint. You should not be able to see the strokes (if you are not going for this particular effect). Word of advise: sometimes it may take couple days, put the brash in a Ziploc bag and close it. The brash will not dry and be ready for your next layer. I do the same with shellac brushes. One brash last about 4 days without one wash).

So, you item is perfectly painted. Now it is time to decoupage. First I would say - decide on design, make sketches. It is very frustrating for fix mistakes down the road or set for less then your favorite way of arranging cut-outs. Before you glue anything on spray paper protector (or drawing protector, found in Michael's or Hobby Lobby) on both sides of your cut-outs and let it dry.

Make a solution of 1:1 Elmer's glue and warm water. Now, there are different techniques, some recommend put the solution on cut-outs, some - on a surface. I would say it is a personal preference. I do both ways depending on the project. Have a clean washcloth ready and as soon as you position the design remove excess of glue. Not wiping motion, but more of up-and-down. Try not to create any air bubbles, if you have to remove them - use a needle.

After design is glued, you have to let it dry completely. And... up to the shellac. I prefer old classical method, I think it gives the best finish, but you decide for yourself. First - 15 layers, each layer applied only after the previous is dry.

Last 10. Yes, it is a long way but it will be such a pleasure you ran your hand against absolutely smooth surface. SO, the deal is - shellac-sandpaper-still wool (repeat 10 times). After your are done you should not be able to feel the edge of your cut-outs. Again, patience+afford=result.

For this particular project I painted the table green, then added the accents of gold (do not forget to use masking tape) and added different shapes I cut-out from the marble paper.

Hope it was helpful.


No comments:

Post a Comment