Wednesday, June 13, 2012

HIDDEN TREASURES

One man's junk - other man's treasure... So true!
So, these are some of my latest finds.

Rug... It was so dirty... But I figured: $6.99, even if I have to throw it away - not too much of a loss. Only after cleaning and some online research the story came out: handmade Persian wool not starched rug...
 


 

 We love meat! So W makes steaks about once a week (now our favorite is Skirt Steak), so of course we had a set of steak knives. You know, the bulky kind with wooden handle... And I honestly I thought there is no other way. Till I ran into those cuties in my local Savers. 45 cents a piece in the original cartons, horn handles. And if I am not mistaken, this is one pretty good brand.

A little bit of baking soda and they are ready for work.

You know, why I like thrift shopping? You can learn so much about these hidden treasures. Last week I went to Boulder Humane Society Thrift shop and got some silverware. The marking on a back was 1847 Rogers. It was very interesting to do the research and find out about the company, marking and design. And of course I could not pass these napkin rings, come on, blue and white? They are made in Korea and mach thinner if you compare them to the Chinese ones. BTW, did you noticed that now you see more and more "Made in USA" markings, isn't it great?

 
Tons and tons people on Pinterest pin this little trick: glue a candle holder to a plate to get pedestal plate. I just want to add: turn the candle holder upside down - the bottom is much flatter and easier to glue. And what about the Bavarian dessert plates? Interesting thing... the design is pervectly the same as on my dinner plates but the shape of the plate, the color and the company are different... (both are from Bavaria thou).
 About a year ago I found a whole set of "Flowers of the year" 1968 in Boulder Savers. The prints are not particularly my style (but very beautiful), so they were just sitting on my bookshelf. Finely I found a use for the prints. Four of them are serving as a backgrounds for my grand greatparents marriage certificates. We just got these documents from Australia. One is in NY with my sister (July), another one is in Israel with my uncle (April), third one at my Mom's (March) and I have January (finally, I found a frame). The picture is a picture of Margaret Street Synagogue where they were wed, it is still there...






No comments:

Post a Comment